Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Time please


Today in class I asked two of my classes to raise their hand if it had a watch on it. Out of over thirty-five people in the room I was the only one with my hand in the air. In faculty meeting later that day I made the same request. All but one faculty member had a hand in the air. What does this mean?

I have always been intrigued by tools and technologies that were present at one time and now cease to exist. For instance the milk bottle, in this day of green-minded activism, should we revive milk bottles and delivery routes? What about Stop & Shop’s PeaPod delivery service? My friend, Walter, can wax eloquent on the way in which the whaling industry came and went in America.

Here is the question: What industry, technology or tool have you seen go out of use but perhaps might be worth revisiting?

4 comments:

  1. This happened to me today! I almost laughed out loud. Not single student had a watch! What a swiftly changing world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the written word. Not typed, but written. With a pen and paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is because all students have cell phones that has become there watch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im a student of only 14 and i have to say that i wear a watch everyday and it does have a analog face and i write with a pen and papaer quite a lot so there are some of us that still care about times before us.

    ReplyDelete


Search This Blog

Followers